≡ Menu

Minimally Invasive Surgery

Thanks to breakthroughs in medical technology, many surgical procedures that once involved major operations can now be performed through tiny incisions, using instruments guided by sophisticated, miniature cameras. As a result, patients heal faster, can return more quickly to their normal activities, and experience much less scarring. Today many procedures can now be performed through small incision surgery, referred to as laparoscopy. These procedure include gallbladder removal, hysterectomies, hernia repairs, urological procedures and more.

Da Vinci Surgical Services

While many surgical practices still perform most procedures using traditional open surgery or laparoscopic techniques, Specialty Surgery of Utah surgeons have been trained in the most advanced surgical techniques available today. The da Vinci Surgical System provides our surgeons and their patients with an alternative to traditional surgical approaches, putting a surgeon’s hands at the controls of a robotic platform.

This superior surgical tool allows the surgeon better visualization of anatomy as he/she performs a surgery. This level of control is especially important when working around delicate and confined structures like the gallbladder or reproductive system. Your surgeon is 100% in control of the da Vinci System, which translates his or her hand movements into smaller, more precise movements of tiny instruments inside your body, taking surgery beyond the limits of the human hand.
Advantages of da Vinci Surgery

Potential benefits of da Vinci robot-assisted surgery vary from procedure to procedure, but generally include:

  • Shorter hospital stay
  • Significantly less pain
  • Smaller incisions
  • Less blood loss
  • Faster recovery
  • Faster return to work and normal activities
  • In many cases, better clinical outcomes

Learn more about the benefits of a da Vinci procedure as it relates to specific surgeries.

Colorectal Screening and Surgery

Our surgeons perform colonoscopy screenings to evaluate the health of the colon and to detect any problems such as colon cancer. In addition, they perform a variety of surgical procedure on the colon and rectum that may include:

  • Treatment of Chrohn’s Disease
  • Treatment of Diverticulitis
  • Treatment of inflammatory bowel disease
  • Removal of polyps (polypectomy)
  • Removal of portions of the colon when colon cancer is found (colectomy)

The third most common cancer diagnosed in the United States in colon cancer. About 70% of colon cancers occur in the first six feet of the large intestine. The other 30 percent occurs in the last 10 inches of the large intestine (rectum). Surgery is the most common treatment for colon cancer, especially if it has not spread. Sometime colon cancer is treated with just surgery, in other cases surgery may be combined with chemotherapy or other treatment options.

A polypectomy is the surgical removal of a polyp. A polyp is an abnormal growth of tissue projecting from a mucous membrane.

A colectomy is a procedure that removes the portion of the colon where cancer is found and usually includes the removal of some surrounding healthy tissue.

For many of the surgical procedures performed on the colon, our surgeons may be able to offer laparoscopic or da Vinci Surgery options which offer the benefit of small incisions, less blood loss, faster recovery, quicker return to normal bowel function and a normal diet, and shorter hospital stays.


Laparoscopy is used to look at the abdominal organs or the female pelvic organs. A thin, lighted tube is put through an incision in the belly. Tissue samples can be taken for biopsy through the tube (laparoscope). Often, laparoscopy can be done instead of laparotomy surgery, which requires a larger incision in the belly. Laparoscopy can be less stressful, have fewer problems and lower costs than laparotomy and many times it can be done without a hospital stay.

What is a Laparoscopy used for?

  • Check for and remove abnormal growths
  • Check for and treat conditions such as endometriosis, ectopic pregnancy, or pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
  • Find conditions that can make it hard for a woman to become pregnant, such as cysts, adhesions, fibroids and infection
  • Biopsy
  • Check for cancer spreading
  • Check for damage to internal organs, such as the spleen
  • Tubal ligation
  • Fix a hiatal hernia or an inguinal hernia
  • Remove organs, such as the uterus, spleen, gallbladder (laparoscopic cholecystectomy), ovaries, or appendix (appendectomy). Partial removal (resection) of the colon also can be done
  • Locate the cause of pelvic pain


Contact Us

Have questions? Need to schedule your
appointment? Contact us, today!

Contact Us